[Aus-soaring] For the technophiliacs.
Christopher McDonnell
2015-12-18 03:58:56 UTC
2015-12-18 05:43:42 UTC
2015-12-18 06:20:27 UTC

From: Mark Fisher
Sent: Friday, December 18, 2015 3:43 PM
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] For the technophiliacs.

Unit 2, 1472 Boundary Rd
Wacol 4076
Australia
Ph: +61 7 3879 3005
Fax: +61 7 36076277
www.spe.com.au

glider driver
2015-12-18 06:39:32 UTC
Yep. No surprises then that this work was kicked off by a glider pilot working at the university (in a previous life)...

Cheers,

Caleb
Yep, but they sound so clever. <wlEmoticon-smile[1].png>
2015-12-18 07:11:16 UTC
I don't have the URL to hand but a private group
in northern California quite a few years ago had
large model gliders flying autonomously cross
country doing out and returns and triangles.
IIRC they were doing 50 km or so last time I looked.

I know NASA Dryden (now Armstrong) were looking
at this more than 10 years ago too as they bought a B50 for the project.

Mike
Post by Mark Fisher
What's new in this? Ridge soaring?
On Friday, 18 December 2015, Christopher
<http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2015-12/iop-kiu121715.php>http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2015-12/iop-kiu121715.php
--
Mark Fisher
Managing Director
Swift Performance Equipment
Unit 2, 1472 Boundary Rd
Wacol 4076
Australia
Ph: Â +61 7 3879 3005
Fax: +61Â 7 36076277
<http://www.spe.com.au/>www.spe.com.au
[]
Borgelt Instruments - design & manufacture of
quality soaring instrumentation since 1978
www.borgeltinstruments.com
tel: 07 4635 5784 overseas: int+61-7-4635 5784
mob: 042835 5784 : int+61-42835 5784
P O Box 4607, Toowoomba East, QLD 4350, Australia
Mike Borgelt
2015-12-18 07:22:07 UTC
Also a group at Sydney University I briefly
communicated with 3 or 4 years
ago.................so we put these algorithms in
to a microcomputer, hook it to an autopilot and enjoy the ride?

This is all doable right now. It will be
interesting to see if/when the AI beats a human pilot.

See also
this:http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2015-george-hotz-self-driving-car/

If one bloke can do this in a relatively short
while I'm not betting against the AI (Artificial
Intelligence) in a glider. Recognising clouds
might be a problem but machine vision is getting
pretty good and the machine will be able to
easily see the cloud development and recognise the trend better than a human.

Mike
Justin Couch
2015-12-21 12:10:16 UTC
Also a group at Sydney University I briefly communicated with 3 or 4
years ago.................so we put these algorithms in to a
microcomputer, hook it to an autopilot and enjoy the ride?
This is all doable right now. It will be interesting to see if/when the
AI beats a human pilot.
One of my workmates is very active in this area. He's working on
breaking the distance to goal record, which is currently about 300km.
Pretty sophisticated stuff - 4m wingspan glider is the base, mostly
arduino for compute power etc. I've been helping him a lot with various
aspects of the soaring side - even loaned him copies of the original
Riechmann book and Bernard's latest edition. Been talking a lot about
soaring theory and what glider pilots look at in the sky and the ground.
His biggest issue is compute power on the image processing. Lots of
experimentation with thermal processing etc to see if he can detect
temperature gradients in the sky to "see" thermals etc. Quite a
fascinating project all up, and something that will eventually feed into
instrumentation that human pilots can make use of.
Justin
Derek Ruddock
2015-12-22 07:28:27 UTC
His biggest issue may be causing a collision with another aircraft.

Justin
Ross McLean
2015-12-27 07:26:19 UTC
The Two Seat Nationals at Narromine is a really great competition with an
atmosphere of fun and camaraderie that just has to be experienced.

We are looking for more entrants in the 2 seat Open Class, eligibility is
open to ANY 2 seat aircraft. Wondering why all those ASH 25's out there
aren't entered yet, but you can also enter your club's DG500 or Grob 103.
The Open class are tasked the same as the 20m 2 Seaters.

The 20m Two Seat competition fleet so far includes 2 x DG1000; 2 x Arcus M;
9 x Duo Discus but inexplicably the sole entrant so far in 2 seat Open Class
is Ron Sanders in his Nimbus 3 DM.

Come on you ASH 25 and Nimbus Drivers, get your entries in!!

ROSS
stephenk
2015-12-29 00:09:14 UTC
I see on the Microair website that they dont repair their earlier radios
(below serial no 7400).

I have one of these with an internal fault which blows the internal fuse
(F1).

Who, if anyone, can repair these?

Regards
SWK
Ian Mc Phee
2016-01-06 03:57:30 UTC
Internal F1 fuse often blows from reverse connection. I do not know what
internally would cause it to blow. I have used a 3.25A resettable poly
fuse just soldered to top of F1 as replacing that wired in fuse is a pain.

Gather there were two firms Microair Avionics & Microair Electronics & one
does not want to know the others workmanship.

Ian Mc Phee
0428847642
Box 657 Byron Bay NSW 2481 him